Thursday, July 23, 2009

You Are What You Wear

Assalamualaikum wbt.

I'd like to begin with Hijab/tudung/scarf. So, when you see any lady (regardless their colour, race and nationality) covering full of her hair/head and neck, what would be the first impression you have in mind? Well, I would say "she's a muslim" and if that happens in Dublin or anywhere in non-islamic city, I'll speak my mind by saying "Assalamualaikum". Simple isnt it?


White dress from MNG
Boot Cut Jeans from Levi's
Pumps from Dunnes store.
Pink shopper bag from BB plaza.


However, if you encounter a lady wearing almost "cloth-less" here and there. Some people might say she's "sexy". I would say "she's a whore" (harsh-nyerr). But, if i know that person is a muslim, I would say " May Allah swt guide you". Simple isn't it? You are what you wear. You can't stop first impressions. Follow these Golden Rules.

There are three golden rules when it comes to making a great first impression.

  • Always make a good first impression
  • You only get a few seconds to make a good first impression
  • You never get a second chance to make a first impression
That's just happen because our society has become image-based. The greatest influence on a first impression is from what you are wearing plus some other details such as bracelets, necklace, shoes and make up. (tetibe teringt, makcik2 kaya dikenali dgn gelang2 emas di tangan hehehe).

To be honest, i dont care what people think. In this real world, hollywood styles has conquered it all. Thank god, i dont really buy them all. I am very selective. Hey, isn't that what fashionable muslimah ladies should do? You only pick up thing that is right to you. To me it is simple, I'll wear what I want as long as I am well covered.

In fact, I used to get a compliment from one Irish sales assistant at Oasis for my dressing. She liked the way I matched the colour of my tudung and my outfit. I can't remember exactly. what I was wearing. It happened about 2 or 3 years ago. (No riak please, nauzubillah). I am just trying to make a point that even westerners view it as nice.

According to Jo-Barret-Lennard . Women who care about their appearance are seen as
  • More credible
  • More capable
  • More intellegent
  • Having a higher self esteem
  • Being more confident

than those who look slightly less pulled together.

Nevertheless, being decent, simple and neat always work anywhere, anytime. Apatah lagi, berpakaian yang betul2 mengikut syariat islam, lagilah diangkat darjatnya. A reminder to me as well. Good Luck, ladies.

Lady Gaga in her video, Poker Face.

She's just another rising fashion icon. My impression: SHE HAS NO TASTE AT ALL. Have some shame laa you lady!








p/s: bilelah aku nak anggap bertudung labuh itu fashionable? O Allah, please guide me.

Love,
Fadzie.
fadzwani_basri@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. "Women who care about their appearance are seen as:

    More credible
    More capable
    More intellegent
    Having a higher self esteem
    Being more confident"

    Agree :)

    Tapi suka terpengaruh dgn Hollywood style. Tapi suka tgk je la. Nak pakai tak reti/tak berani :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. From experience, wearing hijab and modest clothing makes me feel safe. No cat calls (except "hi kak long" by mat rempit mana ntah) and ppl instantly recognize u as Muslims.It gets significant when u're travelling in a small group (2-3 girls) in a western country where there are minimal Muslims around. When other Muslims (esp men) saw you, they have a sense of RESPECT and responsibility to protect you in a situation that calls for it. (would they feel the same if your clothing invites sexual allure instead?) Again, this can become really significant when u're in a foreign place.

    So yeah, you are what you're wearing.By right,you have the rights to be respected no matter what you wear. But again, people and their impressions..you can't control what people think, but you can help to drive it into the direction that YOU want.

    ReplyDelete