Friday, July 24, 2009

Harem Trousers

Ever familiar with HAREM trouser? Don't be mistaken by the literature meaning of Harem which is the part of a Muslim palace or house reserved for the residence of women back in Ottoman Empire. I'm talking here about HAREM TROUSERS OR PANTS which is completely non-related to above definition. Or, in my own other name: "Seluar Aladdin".


Harem Trouser from Topshop

This not-so-new Harem Pant started with Yves Saint Lauren and Louis Vuitton Autumn/Winter 2008 Runway show. Unfortunately, the style just never get it there for too long. There were just so many hideous critics than appraisal. Maybe, Westerners never like the idea of baggy and sagging. Of course, they prefer open and figure fitting. Now, the propaganda is clear: womens sexual exploitation. After all, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.



YSL and Louis Vuitton by Marc Jacobs Autumn/Winter 2008 Paris Fashion Week.
PICTURE COURTESY OF WWW.VOGUE.CO.UK

For me, I love HAREM pant. It suits my needs. I first saw this harem pant worn by one ska reggae lady while walking on Henry Street, Dublin. The style is loose, baggy from lower hip and narrowed down at the ankle. It looks sooo comfortable. Then, I went to Istanbul, just the right time and place for me to find one or two harem pants. I already had in my mind what kind of tops might suits. It can be either clear cut shirts or blouses. However, it's not as easy as I thought. It can be quite challenging and difficult to pull off. See the result as below. Mmg haram tak lawa!!Hahaha my husband and parents couldn't stop making fun of me. I felt like I was wearing my pyjamas.



Fashion Victim

Now, this is Ciara (Listen to her duet with Enrique Iglesias, Taking Back My Love. Just love it). She looks decent and very modest. Don't you like it? Well, I do. Strappy stilettos upgraded the Harem trousers. This style gives me some inspiration for the next time I wear my harem.



Actually, i bought another Harem in Turkey which is slightly different than we've seen so far. It almost look like a skirt. See it below:



Purple Harem Trouser with Cotton Long Sleeve Blouse and Strappy Heels. The last picture shows additional sleeveless black cardigan with waist belt.

Harem definitely not my regular wear. It took me a lot of time in the mirror and some strength to walk out of the door. Pheww...

With My SIL at Barcelonata Beach. She was wearing flowery harem.

Daaa..
Fadzie.

3 comments:

  1. salam Fadzie..

    Tabik spring bila tengok Fadzie berani pakai seluar macamni..hehehehehhe...comei..buat gambar yang ambik kat cermin..sangat menarik...kena berani gak pakai camni...but I bet when it comes to me...mesti my hubby dah suruh tukar..but anyway, it's someting good to try..

    regards,
    lindah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tak berani pakai seluar ni! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tak berani jugak..takut nmpk lagi pendek!

    ReplyDelete